As a Catholic school and with Christ as our Patron Saint, Christ the King College, Bo Alumni Association celebrates Feast of Christ the King (Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ) in November of each year. Both current and past students get together to share countless precious memories of the school where they have learned so much, and the home where they made friends for life.
Christ the King, often simply referred to as CKC with the motto, Adveniat Regnum Tuum (Thy Kingdom Come) is a Catholic secondary school in Bo, Sierra Leone’s second-largest city. The school commemorated its 65th anniversary in 2018.
CKC, Bo is the second oldest Catholic secondary school in Sierra Leone after St. Edwards, Freetown. It was founded by Catholic Nuns of the Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary who serving in the fields of social and pastoral work were concerned about the growing number of boys who successfully completed their primary education in the region. The nuns found support by including Catholic paramount chiefs in the region, Hotagua of Kakua Chiefdom, Foday-Kai of Jaiama Bongor Chiefdom and Kaikai of Kpanga Kabondeh Chiefdom.
In 1953, these visionary Mothers of the Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary together with these chiefs solicited the support of the community in establishing a permanent secondary school environment to accommodate the growing number of Catholic primary school leavers in this part of Sierra Leone.
The Archbishop of the Sierra Leone Roman Catholic Mission at the time, Archbishop Thomas Joseph Brosnahan heeded to the call of the Holy Rosary Sisters and paramount chiefs. Until CKC was established, primary school leavers in the region ended up at either government secondary schools in Bo (the Bo School) and Moyamba (Harford Secondary for Girls) or at St. Edwards and St. Joseph’s Secondary schools in Freetown.